Duration: 40 minutes
Nationality: Turkish Cypriot students
Target Language: Used to
Skill: Speaking ,writing and reading.
Materials: Handouts and flashcards.
Previous knowledge: The Simple past tense
Students might not generate answers.
The students may not understand the content of the flashcards.
Encouraging the students by asking more questions.
The teacher introduces and describes the flashcards using body gestures
and facial expressions .
By the end of the lesson, students will able to;
-recognize “used to”, “didn’t use to” and its question form.
-use “used to”, “didn’t use to” and its question form in appropriate places.
-Produce their own sentences by using “used to”, “didn’t use to” and its question form.
Stage 1) Warm-up activity (5 minutes) ( T----S, S----T)
- Teacher greets the students
- Shows a picture of a fat man and talks about his old habits by using
“used to”, “didn’t use to”.
Stage 2) Presentation (10 minutes) (Interaction: T ----S, S----T)
· Teacher writes some sentences about the fat man (TOM) on the board and
underlines the key words.
Stage 3) practising (20 minutes) (T----S , S----T)
· Teacher shows other flashcards and sticks them on the board.
· Students who work in pairs produce their own sentences by using “ used to”
· Students come and write their sentences on the board.
· Teacher asks students to underline the key words (Used to, didn’t use to and did ...use to..?)
· Then teacher distributes a hand-out
· For this activity, students work individually.
· They read their answers.
CONTINGENCY PLAN (S----S, S---T, S----S)
· The teacher distributes another handout that includes short stories about some characters.
· Each student writes 2 questions about the characters past habits.
· Then they exchange questions.
· They read each other’s texts to answer the questions.
· Finally teacher invites some students to share their sentences.
· Teacher collects the students’ papers to provide feedback later.
THE MATERIALS I USED FOR THE LESSON