Saturday, July 12, 2014

Gerunds-Infinitives( hate/stop/try/mean....)

GERUNDS-INFINITIVES (regret/remember/stop/try/forget/mean…)
SOURCE: Adapted from http://www.e-grammar.org/


 Complete each sentence, using a gerund or an infinitive.
1-I regret------------- (be) late to the interview.
2- I remember------------------ (mention) the meeting yesterday.
3- He remembered ---------------- (turn off) the lights before he left.
4- He stopped smoking for health reasons.
5- We regret --------------------- (inform) you that your position at the company is being eliminated.
6- She can't find a job. She tried---------------------- (look) in the paper, but there was nothing. She tried ---------------------ask friends and family, but nobody knew of anything. She also tried ---------------go shop to shop, but nobody was hiring.
7- I remember -------------- (go) to the beach when I was a child.
8- He gave us a lecture on the Greek history. And then he went on to show us his photos from Greece.
9- Have we really studied this topic before? I forget------------
(read)about it.

10- She tried --------------- (catch) the bus, but she couldn’t run fast enough.
11- My boss came into the room, so I stopped--------------- (browse ) the internet

12- She was shopping and she stopped ------------------ (get) a cup of coffee.
13-She tried --------------- (climb) the tree, but she couldn't even get off the ground.
14- The company regrets----------------(inform)  employees that the London office will close

15- She regrets-------------- (leave) school when she was sixteen. She wishes that she had studied more and then gone to university.
16- I regret---------- (go) to bed so late. I’m really tired today.
17- I wanted to stop ------------- (smoke), so I tried using nicotine
patches.
18- He means-------------- (earn ) as much money as he could buy a house before he returns.
19- I regret -------------- (tell) you that the train has been delayed.
20- There was a fire alarm, so I stopped ------------ (eat) and went outside.
21- You have forgotten your homework again. That means -------------- (phone) your mother.
22- I tried---------------( run ) after the dog, but I was too slow.
23- I meant-------------- (phone) your mother, but my mobile didn't work.
24- The new Prime Minister is determined to end the anarchy and smuggling. Perhaps it will mean ----------------(get) exhausted or (get) killed by outlaws. But he seems fearless.
25-. My grandmother stopped --------------------(drive) when she was 85.
26- You have forgotten your homework again. That means ----------------(phone) your mother.
27- I regret----------------- (laugh) at the lame boy when he fell to the ground.
29- After dinner he went on ------------------- (show) us his photos.
30- I tried---------- (lift) the suitcase, but it was too heavy
31- He gave us a lecture on the Greek history. And then he went on ----------------- show us his photos from Greece.
32- We can go to Spain. But it means ------------------- (spend) more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment