SOURCE: Adapted from Grammar for CAE
A-Circle the correct alternative
1)Before the bridge was built we could / must/ can only get to the island by ferry
2) Up to 100.000 people must /may/ have to experience delays.
3) I was using my pencil a minute ago. It would/ could/must be here somewhere!
4) You don’t have to/ mustn’t/ needn’t forget your sun cream. It’s going to be very hot.
5) I might/ would/ should be able to help you, but I’m not sure yet.
6) Entrance to the museum was free. We shouldn’t/ mustn’t/ didn’t need to pay to get in.
7) May/ must/should I go to the bathroom, please?
8) I shouldn’t/ couldn’t/ mustn’t move the table. It was too heavy.
9) You can come to the meeting if you want but you don’t have to/ mustn’t/ have to.
10) I’m so hungry I can/ must/ could eat a horse!
11) Schools can/ have to/ might play a more active role in encouraging children to tke up sports.
12) The company should/ can/ must hardly be described as a success.
13) I didn’t feel very well yesterday. I cannot/ couldn’t/mustn’t eat anything
14) You could/should/would look at me when I am talking to you.
15) I can’t/ mustn’t/ shouldn’t believe Mr Wade is being so confrontational.
1-When we got to the station we found that the train was half an hour late, so we
a-didn’t need to rush after all.
b-needn’t have rushed after all.
2-As you realized the meeting was quite informal, so you
a-didn’t need to wear a suit.
b-needn’t have wore a suit.
3-Fortunately, he wasn’t badly hurt in the accident, so he
a-needn’t have gone to hospital.
b-didn’t need to go to hospital.
4-The house was in good condition when I bought it, so I
a-didn’t need to to decorate before I moved in.
b-needn’t have decorated before I moved in.
1-_________ (cook) for dinner because my sister had already cooked .
2-I _________ (go) and see the headmaster this morning.
3-My parents ____________( be) here at 8 o’clock, but they still haven’t come.
4-He invited a lot of people to his party, and there was no room to move. He ___________ invited so many people.
5- I ___________let her know what was happening but I forgot.
6-They ___________ (sack) him. He was the most creative person on their team.
7- They _____________ (remember) that their guests don't eat pork.
8-I __________(walk) than take a bus.
9-It was a waste of money. I ___________(buy) it.
10- Lucy___________to come to lunch. What’s happened?
11- I______________ you didn’t turn the radio on.
12- Cats______________to be afraid of dogs, but ours isn’t.
13- I _____________ (go) to the supermarket because we
had plenty of food14-I _____________(wash) the dishes because there